Congratulations to the following Outstanding Volunteers, and thanks for all you do for PASS and the SQL Server community.
Know someone in the PASS community who deserves special recognition for their volunteering efforts? Nominate your favorite volunteer for "Outstanding Volunteer of the Month." Simply provide the volunteer's contact details, years in the community, a list of their volunteer accomplishments, and why you think they should be recognized.
- Alesya Zhuk - Alesya has played an integral role in strengthening the PASS community in Ukraine and the EMEA region. She consistently offers her time and knowledge to her peers in the Dnepr SQL Server User Group she organizes. Alesya has also been a volunteer and speaker at the SQLSaturdays in Kharkiv and Kiev in 2015. Her most recent involvement was in organizing SQLSaturday Dnipro in November 2016 which was a great success largely due to the effort and event management of Alesya. She possesses the attitude, commitment and willingness to help others that makes her an outstanding volunteer in the PASS Community.
- Mindy Curnutt - As one of the Program Managers, Mindy has been an invaluable member of the PASS Community. She has restructured the process of reviewing abstracts by building her own database to manage the hundreds of abstracts received and to manage the workflow of reviewing all those abstracts for the team of 100 volunteers. In addition to this, when the abstract reviews were complete, Mindy alone went through all 3000 comments left by the reviewers to clean up poorly worded comments before sending those comments back to the submitters. The processes she has set in place and the extensive knowledge she has brought to the Program Committee has made her a crucial part in making the Summit Program truly exceptional. She has time and again shown what is means to Connect, Share and Learn.
- Edvaldo Castro - Edvaldo has been a great supporter of PASS for the Portuguese speaking community. He has helped increase the awareness of and accessibility to learning materials for all Portuguese speaking PASS members. His behind-the-scenes support is greatly appreciated.
- Mark Pryce-Maher and Thomas Rushton - Mark and Thomas are outstanding volunteers in the UK data platform community with few community events occurring without their attendance. Mark and Thomas are both long-time members of the SQL Saturday Exeter organizing committee and the success and growth of this group is a direct result of their ambition and enthusiasm. With their continuous contribution and ideas, their many conference calls, and their commitment to travel hundreds of miles for events, Mark and Thomas represent the best parts of the SQL Community.
- Glenn Burnett - Glenn has been on the Sacramento SQL Server User Group board for the last 3 years. As an active board member, Glenn has been responsible for the social media and website updates and is crucial to the operation of this group. Members can rely on Glenn to get the word out about meetings, SQL Saturdays, local training sessions and tweets to the local community. He is responsible for website maintenance and responses to event inquiries. The Sacramento group has received many new members in the last year, most of which can be attributed to Glenn’s hard work and dedication to the group and local community. In addition to helping with the user group, Glenn has also been an integral part of the SQL Saturday in Sacramento and represents the group there.
- Diana Betancourt - Diana is the Chapter Leader for the South Florida user group and is recognized for her continual willingness to help out in the PASS Community, no matter how far the reach! Diana played a big part in the SQLSaturday Panama event where she demonstrated her commitment to PASS and to her community members. After many years on the organizing team, Diana has recently volunteered to be a main organizer for the SQLSaturday event in South Florida this June. Diana is a valued member of our community and her efforts are well recognized and appreciated. Way to go Diana!
- Marilyn Rousseau - Marilyn is a strong member of the South Florida SQL Server User Group and an active, enthusiastic member of the PASS community. Further to being on the organizing team for the SQLSaturday South Florida group for several years now, Marilyn has also volunteered to be an organizer for the SQLSaturday event in South Florida this June. Keep up the great work Marilyn!
- Andre Batista - André has earned this award by demonstrating his dedication and commitment to our PASS Community. He was the main organizer and speaker for the SQL Saturday Lisbon event in February. He's been volunteering and speaking at many SQL Saturday events in Portugal and also spoke at the SQL Saturday Madrid event in November 2015. André is one of the most active speakers among Portuguese community groups including PASS Chapters SQLPort and Porto.Data.net. André has a refreshing community spirit and his efforts are greatly appreciated!
- Jim Murphy, John Sterrett, Ajay Mendo, Richard Heim, Mike Burek, and Joanna Crenshaw - This group of individuals have demonstrated the core values of our PASS community by working together to help produce another successful SQLSaturday in Austin. They are always willing to volunteer their time and energy to serve our community. John, Mike, and Jim previously received this award with the 2015 edition of SQLSaturday Austin for their continual involvement, support, and leadership. This year, Joanna joined their team and managed the attendee registration flawlessly. With the help of Ajay and Richard, who provided invaluable support to the team, this group of dedicated individuals made this event a great success. Keep up the great work!
- Melody Zacharias - Melody has taken on multiple roles across the PASS Community. She is a Regional Mentor for Canada, a Chapter Leader for Okanagan PASS and started speaking at SQLSaturdays this year. She served on the Program Committee for PASS Summit 2015, was a selected speaker, and volunteered her time onsite to help attendees get the best out of their experience. Melody’s enthusiasm for the PASS Community and willingness to help others is greatly appreciated.
- Ivan Campos - Ivan is a dedicated volunteer and active member in the PASS community in Portugal. He is the Chapter Leader for the PASS Chapter Porto.Data and was the host for the Oporto SQL Saturday in October. Ivan was nominated this month by several members in the PASS community for all the hard work he has put into the Porto, Portugal community.
- Johan Ludvig Brattås - Johan Ludvig is an important member of the Norwegian SQL Server community. He always helps out where needed—with a smile. He has grown from being an active volunteer in SQL Server User Group Norway to being the co-leader of the PASS Excel BI Virtual Chapter and co-organizer of SQLSaturday Oslo. At SQLSaturday Oslo 2015, Johan took care of speakers and attendees, was a sponsor representative for his company, ensured that all the practical tasks during the pre-conference workshops on Friday went smoothly, organized a tour for the speakers on Sunday, and even had time to present a session on Saturday! He is also an active blogger, webinar presenter, and speaker at other SQLSaturday events across Europe.
- Howard and Veronica Diesel - The South African user groups run events at the same time (over 3 weeks) to encourage international speakers to attend. With the Johnannesburg SQL User Group Leader expecting a child, Howard and Veronica took up the challenge to run the event for the first time. They put a lot of work into expanding the Pre-Con program, and as a result increased attendees from 8 last year to 91 this year. The funds raised from these Pre-Cons allowed the event to host several international speakers which the South African audiences do not see often. Howard and Veronica ensured that the SQL Saturday event ran smoothly and was a great success, with a 20 percent increase in attendance.
- Brijeet Akula- Brijeet is an active member of the MADPASS Chapter and has been an integral part of the MADPASS board this year, taking on the role of handling the presentation and online streaming technology. He also increased the reach to new members for the chapter by creating a Meetup page. Besides supporting the chapter through member support, he is also a talented speaker and presenter.
- Diego Nogare - Diego is a dedicated volunteer and active member in the PASS community in Brazil. He not only dedicates his time as a Chapter Leader and Regional Mentor, but also leads the team of volunteers to organize the São Paulo SQL Saturday. He has also recently been appointed as a PASS Regional Board Advisor to help support and grow the Latin American community.
- Rob Sewell - Rob has been an active member in the SQL South West chapter since first attending. He has grown from an attendee to a helper and on to a contributor. He helps to run meetings and SQLSaturdays and has started speaking as well as being an active blogger about everything related to the SQL Community. Rob’s friendly engagement makes him a valuable addition to the community, and he extends his welcoming attitude to new chapter members and beyond into SQL Server events across the UK.
- Angela Henry - Angela is the chapter leader for the Triad SQL Server User Group (TSSUG). As a co-program manager for the Summit 2015 program committee, she led the speaker and abstract review process. Angela worked tirelessly with her team to coordinate weekly communications and to provide guidance and progress updates for the five abstract review teams.
- Mindy Curnutt - Mindy is a dedicated volunteer and very active in the PASS community, as well as a regular speaker at various SQLSaturday events. She was a co-program manager for the Summit 2015 program committee, which led the speaker and abstract review process. She coordinated weekly communications and provided guidance and progress updates for the five abstract review teams.
- Gina Meronek - Gina is an active member of MADPASS PASS Chapter and led the team of volunteers to organize the Madison SQL Saturday #387. Her exceptional coordination and communication with speakers and attendees at both the Precon and SQL Saturday event contributed to its huge success.
- János Berke - János is an active and long-time member of the Hungarian Chapter and a supportive co-organizer of SQLSaturday Budapest. He has been a key person for the success of SQLSaturday Budapest 2015. János is a regular volunteer providing support for chapter meetings and is also a speaker for events.
- Louis Davidson - Louis Davidson has led the abstract evaluation team for the PASS program committee. This was the first year the program committee offered this service and Louis helped to create the workflow and processes to launch this service. He managed the flow of abstracts from the submitters to the reviewers and the comments from the reviewers back to the submitters. Louis’s excellent leadership has allowed the program committee to have a successful launch for this service.
- Daniel de Sousa - Daniel has been a steadfast volunteer for several years. He has helped SQL Saturday Melbourne in the past 2 years, playing a key role in helping to coordinate the volunteers and make sure that registration is smooth for the whole day of the event. He has also volunteered his time in support of PASS Summit, and is commended for the support he provides the PASS community.
- Michael Burek - Michael is a hugely supportive volunteer who is willing to help in whatever capacity he can. He provides support for the CACTUSS North Chapter and played a big role in organizing SQLSaturday Austin and went above and beyond in his efforts and support of the event. His involvement ensured that the first SQLSaturday for Austin in three years was a success.
- Jim Murphy - Jim is a community member who is always ready and willing to step up to support a community event. Jim has volunteered at Summit, is part of the CACTUSS North Chapter team, leader of the CACTUSS Central Chapter, and played an integral role in the success of the January SQLSaturday Austin. His involvement and hard work helped the team have a hugely successful event.
- John Sterrett - John is a long-time community member and his volunteer efforts span many areas. He is the Chapter Leader for CACTUSS North, Regional Mentor for US South Central, Leader of the HA/DR Virtual Chapter and has spoken at and helped organize many SQLSaturday events over the years. Most recently, he led the charge for SQLSaturday Austin, and helped the event reach a record for sponsorship.
- Mike Donnelly - Mike Donnelly has been a large part of PASSMN’s success over the past two years. He was the Director of Program Development in 2013, and the Chair in 2014. Mike was also instrumental to the success of SQLSaturday MN in 2014; responsible for Marketing, coordinating food & beverages for 400 guests, and assisting Jennifer McConnell with the Women In Technology program. Mike also represented PASSMN internationally, speaking at six SQLSaturdays (one in Canada) and his first Summit in 2014. His dedication didn’t end there though; he’s mentoring a new Chair in 2015, and will be giving his Summit session (Twice in a Lifetime: T-SQL Refactoring 101) at February's PASSMN meeting.
- John Morehouse
- Allen Kinsel
- David MacLean
- Mike Hillwig
- Cathrine Wilhelmsen
- Paul te Braak
- Joaquin Zuñiga
- Martin Cairney
- David Joubert
- Dan English and Paras Doshi
- Annette Allen
- Maria Isabel Vallenas Luna
- Rosa Isabel Córdova Farfán
- Joe Fleming
- Raul Campos Rosas
- Melissa Connors
- Jose R Guzman
- Louis Davidson
- Bradley Ball
- Tony Sebion
- Windy Martin
- Julie Bloomquist